Gabriel Herrera: A Graphic Essay

This project is no longer available for viewing.

Student: Gabriel Herrera
Course: English 553: Modern Critical Theories
Medium: Graphic Essay

Description: My goal in this project was to present myself as a subject for analysis using theory discussed in class.

I opted to write a Wikipedia article about myself, and have the theorists serve as “editors” whose concepts I could then apply at a personal level. Instead of limiting myself to the template of how Wikipedia would have displayed the editing comments, I decided to take a more abstract approach by using layers of boldly colored text boxes. I also interspersed the Wikipedia-themed pages with personal photos to link the text and images more closely. Regardless of how I presented my material, I found that what developed was a “dialogue” between the theorists and myself which is reflected by the semi-conversational tone that some of my writing takes. It was both rewarding and interesting to see what image/word pairings came ‘naturally’ as opposed to the ones that I had to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment